Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Oh the good old days...

When you think of your childhood what were some of your favorite dishes? Not just the thing your mom cooked every Tuesday whether you liked it or not. I am talking about that one dish that when you knew it was being prepared, your mouth watered, you made sure to be super hungry so you could indulge completely. I can say with all honesty that my mom has always been a great chef so I had a list the things that I could not wait to have and to try and narrow it down to one or two would be quite futile. 

We all have certain foods from our childhood that are incredibly meaningful.  Foods hold meaning to us; they can spark a specific memory or just a general feeling of nostalgia. As a child -- at a time when we cannot produce our own sustenance -- our meals are an incredibly important way in which we connect to our caregivers. Whether we realize it or not, it is one manner where we are quite directly nurtured by them.Sometimes just the wafting smell of a brisket can bring us back in years, to a fall Sunday evening where you and your family gathered around the table to break bread together.

 
It has been very difficult at best but I have decided on two dishes that I ask for faithfully when I go home to San Angelo Texas to see my family.  One of my favorite dishes that my mother makes is baked chicken and rice. I know it sounds not so fancy and it isn't but what it still is absolutely, completely, and amazingly delicious. She takes the chicken and season it with her special blend. She puts the rice in the bottom of the roaster pan with butter and lays the chicken on top of it. I know there are onions, and garlic and sometimes bell peppers and several other items I have yet to figure out, but most of all "Momma" love. I have attempted to reproduce this dish at least 30 times in my life, and it still just don't taste like my mothers. My mother has never been one to follow recipes so when asking her what all she puts into something you get the typical pinch of this, dash of that type response. Got to love her though! She is one of the main reasons I have the love of food and desire to cook that I possess today. 

Another dish that I love and still request every time I go home is neck bones and potatoes with a side of hot water corn bread.  I have come to the conclusion that I can not make hot water corn bread to save my life. Again I have attempted this dish as simple as it seems but it just does not taste as good as when my mother makes it for me. Maybe I am just spoiled...ha ha. It may very well be it tastes so good  just because she made it,  but what ever it is, Terressa Holcomb can make a pot of neck bones and potatoes that will make you hurt something trying to scarf it down your throat. Just thinking about it makes me want to call her at 2 in the morning and request her to FED EX me a pot. I have sense enough not to do but it sure sounded good in my head. 

Okay now I have made myself extremely hungry. It is way too late at night to be watering at the mouth the way I am at this very moment.  I will stop with those two dishes but trust me the list could go on. Now it is your turn. Let me know what you guys loved to have your mother or in some instances father prepare for you. I am going to post a recipe for neck bones and potatoes and if you like give it a try.  As always in parting I say, "Let's Eat"!

Boiled Neck Bones and Potatoes

1. Presoak 3lbs of fresh pork or beef neck bones for 1 hour in iodized salt water. Remove neck bones from water, rinse thoroughly with warm water to remove sediments and fatty inert from meat. After meat has been rinsed and cleaned properly, add 10 cups of water to large pot, bring to a boil, and add neck bones to pot.

2. Let neck bones boil uncovered for 1 hour, before reducing to minimum heat, skim excess grease several times before placing lid on cooking pot.

3. Simmer neck bones for another hour.

4. While neck bones are cooking, peel and cut 6 whole white potatoes into halves or chunks.

5. After neck bones have simmered for an additional hour, stop cooking, let stand for 15 minutes.

6. Remove neck bones from pot, discard water, fresh water will be needed to re-start the last cooking process. Bring to a boil 10 cups of fresh water, add neck bones to pot.

7. Add pre-cut potatoes and 1 ½ finely sliced white onion to pot, add a generous amount of salt-free Mrs. Dash seasoning blend.

8. Add 2 tablespoons of Goya Adobo seasoning

9. Add Texas Pete hot sauce (use discretion-to your liking)

10. Add 1 tablespoon of thyme and oregano

11. Add 2 tablespoons of Spice-World Garlic

12. Add 1 teaspoon of corn starch, add 1 tablespoon of flour

13. Stir in all ingredients reduce heat and let simmer for 1 and ½ hour. During the final stage of the cooking, skim excess grease, there should be no trace of meat grease visible. Pick meat with fork, if meat is tender, almost falling off the bone - then this delightful recipe is ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment