Saturday, December 17, 2011

Lazy Saturdays...what's for dinner?

It is Saturday and typically that is the day of the week where most of us either go out or eat something simple.  Saturdays were almost always cold cut sandwich night when we were kids growing up in my mothers house.  We would debate what kind to get, how much and more than anything who was going to walk to the store to get it.  I was discussing with a friend the other night about being sent to the neighborhood corner store to get luncheon meat from the deli counter. For any of you who grew up in San Angelo, Texas you know the best place in town to get lunch meat cut was at Lee's Superette on the corner of 17th Street and Randolph or what is now Martin Luther King. I do not know what Mr. and Mrs. Lee did to their lunch meat and cheese but anything coming out of that meat cabinet was absolutely delicious.  They do not do it like that anymore. I mean yeah Sarah Lee and Boars Head are all great...but nothing beats Lee's. (Sweet memories)  Once we got home we went about trying to make our individual sandwiches look better than the other sibling.  I learned early on that people really enjoy food with all their senses. Typically if it looks good, and it smells good it will taste good. Now that is never the standard by which you should base things but sometimes that works.

Back to the topic at hand. So as I am sitting here writing I am also finishing up dinner. I can sometimes get away with quick meals on the weekend but often I am cooking just about as much on the weekend as any other night of the week. Tonight is no exception. It is kind of an eclectic blend of things I had a taste for. I am making jerked beef with peppers and onions,  garlic naan bread, and veggie rice. I know most of that does not match in the overall scheme of things but trust me it all tastes delicious.  I am always looking for the newest best tasting thing. I am a firm believer that if it has a recipe, I can make it. I will tweak it until it tastes the way I want it but sometimes some things need to stay as authentic as possible.

Don't let busy weekends stop you from preparing delicious meals. When your jam-packed schedule allows little time for cooking, adapt your go-to recipes for the weekday but make it extra special with a side (or two!) or end with a delectable dessert. With each recipe taking around 30 minutes or less on both prep and cooking time, you'll have a good meal in a jiffy!

So what does your family do for dinner on the weekend. Is there a regular tradition, the hodge podge of left overs,  or is it every person for themselves? I am going to post a quick but easy suggestion, feel free to give it a try. It is hardly traditional Mexican fair but it is quick and will take care of that craving. So to all my traditional Mexican meal creators back home, don't fret you know I know better...ha ha. Let me know how it turns out. As always in parting I say. "Let's Eat!"


Beef Enchilada Bake

Could also layer as a Mexican lasagna.

Perfect sides:
Black bean salsa
Spanish rice
Baked tortilla chips

Minutes to Prepare: 15

Minutes to Cook: 15

Number of Servings: 8



Ingredients

8 oz ground beef
1/2 cup frozen chopped onion
8 oz can tomato sauce
1 envelope enchilada sauce mix
1 1/2 cups water
16 oz can refried beans
8 8in flour tortillas
2/3 cup Mexican style shredded cheese



Directions

Preheat oven to 350.
Grease a 12 X 8 baking dish.

Cook ground beef and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until ground beef is browned. About 8 minutes. Drain.

Add tomato sauce and enchilada mix to ground beef and onions. Mix well. Stir in water. Cook, stirring occasional, for 3 minutes.

Spoon equal portions of the refried beans down the center of each tortilla. Fold tortillas to enclose filling. Arrange in prepared baking dish.

Spoon ground beef mixture evenly over tortillas.. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake until hot and bubbly, about 15 minutes.


1 comment: