Sunday, June 17, 2012

Feeling a little spicy!

I am sure you all have thought I ran away...lol I have been very busy with my catering business as well as being a mom and wife and all that those roles entail. I will try to do better to get back to you guys more regularly. I have been trying to keep most of my menus cool and light with the summer break finally here but with my family it can't always be that way. I am in the mood for something spicy and savory so these two recipes fit that bill quite nicely. I hope  you guys give them a try. Please let me know if there are any recipes or ideas for recipes you would like to see and I will gladly oblige. I hope all is well with everyone and you know that you are never far from my thoughts. As I always say in parting, Let's Eat!



Spicy Shrimp with Green Onions


INGREDIENTS:
16 ounces shrimp, shelled & deveined
white pepper (to taste)
cayenne pepper (to taste)
black pepper (to taste)
2 ounces canola or peanut oil
1 teaspoon flour
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
1/2 teaspoon Chinese chili paste
1/2 cup chopped green onion

DIRECTIONS:
Season shrimp with salt and all three peppers. Sprinkle flour over shrimp.

Heat wok, add oil, heat again over high heat till very hot. Add shrimp and quickly stir-fry 2 or 3 minutes or till shrimp turn pink and are done. 

Stir in oyster sauce and chili paste mixture and cook about 1 minute more. Add green onions and serve immediately.







Garlic Noodles:

INGREDIENTS:
3 teaspoons minced garlic
3 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons white vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 pound fresh Chinese noodle or vermicelli
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1 Japanese cucumber or English cucumber
2 teaspoons chopped cilantro
***Cantonese Stir Fry Sauce***
3/4 cup water
1 teaspoon chicken base powder (no MSG)
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons shaohsing wine or sherry
1 teaspoon oyster sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cornstarch

DIRECTIONS:
Cook pasta. Rinse and cool down. Set aside. Toss in red chile flakes and cilantro.

Wash cucumber. Slice diagonally into 1/4" thick slices. Slice into strips. Set aside.

Heat wok thoroughly, add oil, then minced garlic. Stir fry briefly. Do not burn garlic or it will take on an acrid smell and taste. (If this happens, throw it out and start over.)

Add sugar and vinegar.

Add noodle to wok, stirring and tossing to mix until noodle is heated through.

Place on plates and surround with cucumber strips.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment