Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy New Year....what's cooking?

Okay so I loved the holidays. But I have more than had my fill of the collard greens and yams and turkey and dressing and all that says Holiday Food.  Thank goodness we get to start all over in a new year.  I have been busy with family and friends over the last few days thus no blog, plus truth be told, I was being lazy...ha ha.

If you guys are anything like me you enjoyed your holiday meals and completely over did it so now you want something different and less rich and heavy. Well the holidays for Highly Flavored meant desserts desserts desserts. I made more cakes, cookies and chewies than I could shake a stick at but it was great for business so I am hardly complaining.  What I did find was I can finally put pound cake on my list of cakes mastered. I have had the most difficult time getting the recipe right for something as basic as a pound cake. I do not know if I was over working the batter or something but I was not able to make one that could rival my great Aunt Lizzie or any of the people in my family who bake.  I made my very first banana pound cake last night and it was AWESOME! For a family who are not big fans of bananas I do believe this cake was just moved up into the ranks of our top ten desserts. I am looking forward to finding new recipes and expanding my recipe archives.



I ran across a dessert recipe today that I know I am going to try first of all because I have a friend who loves pineapple and coconut and I am sure they would be very excited about being a taste tester. Who doesn't like like free dessert. Second I am looking to find recipes for desserts that are not as heavy and and will be great for the spring and summer months which are not too far around the corner. Are there any recipes across the board you guys would like to see or have me share with you as we start this new year? Please feel free to post your requests or inbox me on Facebook. I am going to post the recipe for the pineapple bars and I will let you guys know how well they came out or maybe the person taste testing will post a thought on how they tasted. As always in parting I say" Let's Eat!"



Pineapple Coconut Bars

1 cup (4.5 oz) all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold

Filling:
1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 of a large (20 oz) can of crushed pineapple, drained, save the juice
2/3 cup flaked coconut

Icing:
1/2 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 tablespoon pineapple juice (from above)

Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8 inch square metal pan with non-stick foil or spray with flour-added cooking spray.
In the food processor, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Pulse to mix, then add butter and pulse until mixture is coarse. Empty into your lined pan and press tightly to make a crust. Bake for about 13 minutes or until edges start to brown. Let cool completely before making filling.

Filling: Mix together the egg. egg yolk, both sugars and the vanilla. Stir together the flour, baking powder and salt, then stir them into the batter. Add the pineapple and coconut. Pour over the cooled crust and bake for about 25 minutes. Let cool completely.

Icing: Mix together all the ingredients, using as much pineapple juice as needed to make a smooth icing. Drizzle icing over the top of the cooled bars.

Chill bars, then lift from pan and cut into 16 squares. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

Makes 16



No comments:

Post a Comment